In their tours to Washington DC, adventure lovers cannot miss the visit to the caves near the city. Though there are many fantastic places to visit above the ground, the hidden world of caves under the surface of the Earth is always enchanting to the visitors.
The limestone rock formations in the caves are a breathtaking sight. Different caves offer different kinds of experiences. In some caves, you will be able to find the cave crickets which live in a completely dark atmosphere. Some caves have easy to pass pathways whereas in some others you will have to be adventurous to pass through because of the narrow and muddy spaces. Here is a list of five caves you can visit during your tours in Washington DC.
- Luray Caverns: This cave was originally discovered in 1878 and remains to be the largest system of caverns in the Eastern US. The rooms are very high and some of them have ceilings at a height of a 10 storied building. This is a renowned tourist spot because of the ease of walking inside the cave. Even old people who have physical difficulties can easily pass through the caves. The Great Stalacpipe Organ, a formation which sings when tapped, is the main attraction here.
- Shenandoah Caverns: This is the only cavern in Virginia with elevator service. This gives an easy caving experience. There are 17 amazing rooms with amazing limestone rock formations which is a real feast for the eyes. The Bacon Room with formations looking like Bacon and the Rainbow Lake are also prime attractions here. A café and a museum add to the marvelous experience here.
- Grand Caverns: This is one of the oldest operating caves with walls having the signatures of around 200 civil war soldiers. Flowstone, stalactites, and stalagmites are the main attractions here. Also, there are other fun activities like swimming, fishing, hiking, and mini-golf.
- Endless Caverns: This is the place for those who are looking for a camping adventure along with a cave visit. There are a large swimming pool and a hiking trail here which makes the experience more amazing.
- Crystal Grottoes Caverns: This is comparatively the smaller and less busy caverns among all the caverns. Also, this is the cave with a large number of formations. The stops at civil war sites, hiking on Appalachian Trail and antique shopping can add fun and adventure to the trip.
So if you are planning Washington DC tours, make sure that you visit one or more of these caves. That will be an experience to always cherish in your life.