There was a time when Washington DC was mostly known for its museums and monuments, and was visited mostly by people with a sense of abundant patriotism rather than the need to travel and sightsee. However, this city has changed a lot, having become one of the most dynamic places in the nation. If you visit DC today, you will find diverse neighborhoods, cultural events to satisfy every taste, and some of the best food in the world. Get to know more by partaking in tours in Washington DC.
Tips for your First Trip
- Head there in either spring or fall, because these are times, when the temperatures will be most accommodating. This may also mean greater crowds though, so do your bookings well in advance.
- The National Mall is considered a good place to walk, but it is about 2 miles long. Prepare for a long stroll, or consider taking one of the bus tours.
- Touring the White House is something everyone wants to do. If you are keen on this, make sure that you plan ahead. Lead times can sometimes be as long as 6 months. You can also arrange a White House tour by getting in touch with your congressional office.
- When you are in DC, the one-way streets and traffic circles can make the city seem like a maze. It is better to leave the car behind somewhere and do your exploration on foot. A good alternative to that is using the bus and metro system.
- You might already know from people who have visited before that all the Smithsonian museums offer free admission. So make the most of that while you are in the city.
- Make sure to visit the Library of Congress, which house the largest collection of books in the world. Check out the Thomas Jefferson Room for a look at sculptures and frescoes.
- Head to DC in the springtime to get the best of scenic beauty, such as cherry blossom blooms. Peak bloom is usually around April 4, but it has been known to tarry until April 18. Check the National Park Service (NPS) website for predictions, and plan your trip accordingly.
- If you want to stay nearby the White House, book rooms at the Willard Intercontinental, which is just 5 blocks away. This place offers easy access to the most popular tourist attractions in the city.